Tuesday, June 10, 2008

True Confessions!

I made Patti promise we'd never tell what happened, but I'm the one who needs to confess, and this takes the pressure off Patti, who I know is DYING to tell the story. She says she hasn't told a soul, but I don't believe her.

She and I drove to the Colonies last February to surprise Jennifer on her birthday. Jen was so surprised when she saw us, she started crying. It was very sweet and nice that we could pull it off (with alot of help!) While we were there we were able to watch President Hinckley's funeral services on TV.

Anyway, on the way home, Patti wasn't feeling well so I offered to drive while she slept in the back seat. We got all the way across the border at Santa Teresa and were on the home stretch on the airport road that leads to McNutt. Patti was in the front seat by now and we were talking and laughing and cruising along, probably going a little faster than I should have been. All of a sudden, there was a huge curve in the road and because I was going too fast, I couldn't navigate the curve and went off the road into the dirt. The stop sign at McNutt and the airport road was looming in the short distance, but because of the soft dirt it was real hard to control the car. Patti's thinking "Is she gonna hit it?" and I'm thinking "I'm gonna hit the stop sign and there's nothing I can do about it!!"

Wham-o! No horrendous crash or anything like that. The stop sign just laid down softly in the dirt! The bumper of Patti's car has a scratch on it the width of the stop sign pole and that was it. It wasn't even dented!

We just looked at each other to make sure we were both OK, then Patti got the bright idea to switch seats in case the cops came. I still don't understand her thinking on that one because it was dark and no one was around and there were no witnesses. But Patti got out of the car anyway with just her socks on, and stepped into a bunch of goat's head stickers. Her feet were full of them by the time she got around to the drivers side.

So off we went, and this is when I made her swear not to tell ANYONE! She said "Oh no!! I'm telling everyone about this!" Then I guess she felt sorry for me and said she'd keep it to herself, but I'm still not sure she ever did!

I offered to pay for the damage to her car, but she wouldn't hear of it. The next day, I ended up telling Rocky, because I figured he was going to have to pay for it eventually, even tho Patti didn't want me to worry about it.

I tell you this story now, because yesterday I finally was able to make restitution with Patti for the damage to her car. So that part's over with, but I still feel guilty about the stop sign issue. I drove to the "scene of the crime" the next day and the stop sign was upright again. It wasn't damaged at all!

So now, dear readers, I have a dilemma. Should I drop it, or should I go to the police and offer to pay for re-installing the stop sign? I'd probably feel alot better about it, even if they give me a ticket, but what if they put me in JAIL??

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I feel like I have you right in front of me, listening and laughing at all of the wonderful stories that you tell. Even in your writing, I can see your face and it makes me smile and laugh out loud! I love you! And Patti too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. That is a tough one. However, if the government got the stop sign up that quickly, how hard could it have been? I also want you to know that my mom never did tell me a word about it and I'm slightly offended about that, but I'll get over it. You can be proud of her. If I get in the car with you and we wreck, will you buy me something nice, too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll get a ticket for reckless driving and your insurance will go up because the state will charge them for the damage, minus your deductible of course.....how do I know this? That's a story I promised I would never tell....and I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no no don't offer to pay for it! they got it up just fine, and it was back in february anyways. you've probably already made up for it in tax dollars you spend at wal-mart or wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete