Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Things I Love About My Big Sister

I feel obliged to respond to Patti's previous blog, but this is an easy one. There are so many great things I love about Patti, this list can't begin to cover everything, but I'll try:

1. Patti is so good at crafts and home decorating, like all the improvements she's made to her house (painting, wallpapering, etc.) They always look so professional to me.

2. Patti is a very kind person, to everyone she knows (unless she's really angry with you, then it's best to just tuck and run!) Usually tho, she goes out of her way to be kind to people.

3. She is so thoughtful of others. I remember the story she told me about accidentally ending up in a first class seat when she was coming home from her trip to Ireland and Scotland. After she was seated and comfortable and thrilled with getting that seat, a man with some kind of physical handicap walked onto the plane. I'm not sure what was wrong with him, but he was struggling. Patti immediately offered him her seat and she ended up sitting in coach for the trans-atlantic flight! That's a LONG flight, and I'm sure the man will be forever grateful to her.

4. She says I'm like a sheep, and she's partially correct. If I like someone and later find out she doesn't like them, then I don't like them anymore, even if they're perfectly fine and wonderful people! Right about now, you're probably asking yourself "How old ARE you two???"

5. I love how she treats my family. We always feel so welcome in her home. It's such a happy place to be.

6. When I came back to El Paso to start nursing school, I was just paralyzed about having to make certain important changes in our lives. So she just took over and said this is the way it's going to be and that's the way it was. She made so many important decisions for me, mostly those involving what to do with the boys while I was in school. I'll never forget that. She took such a heavy weight off my shoulders.

7. Patti babysat my boys during alot during my nursing school years. She took really good care of them but it bothered her alot that Troy wouldn't eat anything except PB&J! I never could have made it through nursing school without all the help I received from Patti and my mom.

8. She's right about the hysterical phone calls. Sometimes all I have to do is say "Hello" and we start laughing to the point we can't talk. I don't know what it is, but I love it. If I have a funny story to tell, it's so much funnier when I tell Patti. But no one else ever gets it.

9. Church is hard for us. Something will happen and all we have to do is glance at each other and it's all over! It's all in the eyes!

10. When we have holidays dinners at her house, they are always lovely and delicious, and on the rare occasion she uses paper plates, they're the prettiest paper plates I've ever seen each and every time. She brings out the paper plates for BBQ's and that's the time to use them.

11. Patti is so gracious and seems to really love it when she gets an unexpected gift. Well, except maybe for the chile dress I bought her. When I saw it, I didn't like it at all either, but in my opinion, it had teacher written all over it!! (figuratively) She was horrified!!

12. She's not afraid to let her anger out and I admire that. She's really good about getting things out in the open and not letting them fester.

13. I think SHE's the one who always looks nice. She's tall and slender and looks so good in everything. She also knows how to put together an outfit with jewelry and accessories so that it looks just great.

14. She exercises by walking almost everyday. I wish I had that kind of discipline. Once she sets her mind to something, it's done.

15. Patti is always improving herself by reading books. I read alot, but she reads 100 times more than I do! Ask her anything about the Holocaust or the Civil War and she'll know the answer. She's very smart and has a wide range of interests.

16. She's the funniest person I know, even when she's trying not to be. She can make me fall apart with just one word sometimes, and her funny stories are MUCH funnier when she tells them! Sometimes we laugh until we can't breathe!

17. I love her self-deprecating style. She acts so dopey sometimes but doesn't realize it and that always makes me smile. And you can tease her mercilessly! Mom was right. We tease her because we love her.

18. I wish I could get a picture of her face when she's shocked or doesn't quite believe what you're telling her. Her chin drops straight down, leaving her mouth wide open. It looks so much like Daddy!

19. I don't know anyone, except maybe myself, who loves UTEP football and basketball games like Patti does. We rarely miss a game, even when the team hasn't won in months! Sometimes I think the only reason we go is to hear the National Anthem and the UTEP fight song, but I really think it's mostly just to be together.

20. I've always been a little envious about how talented she in on the piano and organ. I remember how hard she practiced when we were kids and still does. Her talent has served her well.

21. Patti's a wonderful, loving mother and grandmother, and it shows in her kids. They're such good kids and it's obvious they love her as much as she loves them.

22. Most importantly, Patti is always there when I need her, no matter what!

Patti is a great role model for me to look up to. She's a really good person, a hard worker, and a perfectionist, but mostly she's my best friend. I'm the only person in the world who can say Doodle Bug is my sister! How great is that??

4 comments:

  1. Awwww, that was so sweet! Hopefully that will now raise her self esteem and will believe she is more than just flotsam floating on the sea of life. I agree with you about all of those things. It's funny that you said she has no problem showing her anger. Ask ED about that one! Thanks for that, Bob! That was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Little Turkey - Thank you SO MUCH for the awesome list of things you love about me! I have a lot to live up to now! The funny thing is that many of the things you wrote about me involve you too, and our relationship has defined so much of what I am and what I do. (Profound, huh?) I feel sorry for people who don't have a sister or who don't get along with their sister.
    You're the best, Bob! Love, Doodle Bug

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - I'm commenting from Jen's blog because if I navigated away from this page, I'd lose everything I just typed. So the second comment and this comment are from me, as I'm sure you have already figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, shucks! It's all true!

    ReplyDelete